Friday, 31 January 2014

Drawing Statement of Intent

My drawing project this term is following on from my journey project. I was inspired by Richard Long and partook in 4 walks around Leicestershire. The walks had to follow a footpath (one set by the council or a public footpath) a contrast to Long’s work, contain a car park, so I could access them easily and have a variety of landscape and scenery (e.g. woodlands and river) this provides me with inspiration to create work for this project.
On these walks, like my previous project, I wrote down words which came to be during each journey, these could be nouns (objects I found along the way) or adjectives which describes the emotions I felt at certain parts of the walk. Unlike Long, I have more evidence that I have completed the walks, as well as having an OS map, I have photography, audio and mud ( like Douglas Huebler). Also, on each walk, except the first, I took down the suns position at random points along the footpaths, I intend to turn these into a sculptural piece.
To compare each walk, I gathered information such as weather, start and finish of each walk, date and how many dog and people I noticed along my path.
Currently I am analysing Land Art as a whole through a series of books. From these books I shall look further at certain artists who can relate to my work, I will also try to understand the ideas behind Land Art and how artists present their work.
Through-out the next few weeks, I am going to experiment with the presentation of my collected data. Inspired by Walter De Maria, I aim to use mud lines to represent the length of the journey. I am also going to continue hand writing my gathered words from the walks, however, in this project, I am going to try to present them in a more contemporary and interesting way.

The aim of my project is to push the boundary of the definition Drawing, and how you can gain inspiration from primary experiences found in a natural environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment