(1924-1997)
An American sculptor who focused on Conceptual Art. He was a painter to begin with but then began to make sculptures out of wood and soil. He create 'Location Pieces' and ' Variable pieces'. One of these pieces I shall focus on.
Site Sculpture project, Windham College Pentagon, Putney, Vermont, 1968
2 Maps, 5 Photographs and typescript on board
625 x 1282 x 31 mm
From Tate Website- http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/huebler-site-sculpture-project-windham-college-pentagon-putney-vermont-t01823 :
Display caption
Huebler's site sculptures explore ideas of location, documented through photography, maps and text. He only spent a day at Windham College in Vermont. Using a map, he drew a pentagon with the campus as its centre and then proceeded to collect earth from the locations that correspond to its five points. Mixed with resin, the samples were shown at Windham College with documentary materials. After the exhibition, they were reburied on campus.
August 2004
I can develop my project by maybe creating a map and drawing upon it where I took the soil from each place along the river. Or maybe I can take mud from the river in a way which creates a pattern which can only be seen from space or by map.
Huebler also used resin to preserve the soil, maybe I can use chemicals which change the appearance of the soil.
http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/huebler-site-sculpture-project-windham-college-pentagon-putney-vermont-t01823
http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artists/douglas-huebler-1320

No comments:
Post a Comment