Friday, 14 February 2014

Week 5- Main project

This week mainly involved pushing myself to use more paint and be braver with colour, separating the colour instead of blending it.

I also became familiar with using varnish and decided to incorporate it into a lot of my works due to the nice finish it gives.
To make my filler pieces more interesting, from last week, I added thin layers of coloured varnish. As the layer's are thinly applied, the texture of the piece still remains and adds tone to the pieces.

Filler pieces created last week with coloured varnish layers
From these pieces, I am now created a cropped ear piece made by building up the layers of filler, currently they are different flesh tones made by colouring the filler when applying it, however I am also going to add layers of varnish once I am satisfied with the thickness of the filler.

Ear filler piece (unfinished)

I also continued with my battle of producing large expressive paintings from the 'Party Trick ' drawings. This week I made a large emulsion piece purely using the white paint with black acrylic. I wanted to focus on the thickness of the paint and the actual creation of the piece rather than the finished subject. I loved producing it however I am not happy with the end painting. I believe I will now end this path of the product and focus on my filler pieces.
Large emulsion piece

I had a revelation this week, whilst adding the oil paint to a new cropped ear piece, I realised by scraping the paint down the piece, it adds a texture I haven't yet experimented with. I then started layering these colours, trying hard not to blend them together. The scraping went down the piece matching the length of the paper. After a few days of working on it, I felt that I had worked into the painting too much and experimented with pouring varnish down the painting. I love this finish as it adds another texture.
I am going to develop this by creating another cropped ear painting but using brighter colours and scraping the paint in the direction of the curves to create form and movement. I may also colour the varnish when dripping it down the piece.
Cropped ear piece with varnish using the scrapping effect.

Toes in a landscape
Not planning on developing this part of the project as I am more interested in the application of paint than the subject now.

No comments:

Post a Comment