The first issue was how to present the mud I had collected. One of my ideas was to present the mud on a shelf, with the shelf being the same length as one of the walks. The problem was translating the miles into a measurement which would fit into the booked room. I solved this issue by changing the miles into feet, this meaning any of the walks would be suitable. After comparing all the walks, I chose the longest walk to be presented in this way. The walk was 8 miles long so therefore I brought a 8ft long pieces of wood.
By putting the wood up at eye height, the viewer can inspect the mud closely and smell it as well as see it, I want the viewer to engage with the piece and experience what I did when walking along the path in which I collected the mud on.
Whilst putting on the mud, I aimed to lay it in a thin line across the plank of wood. I came across some think white worms, although being disgusted, it adds to the piece, making it very real and immediate. From seeing the worms, the viewer would understand that the walk was not long ago. I just hope that the worms would still be alive if I chose this to be part of my installation.
The text was an issue for me this week. After creating a selected and personal font for me to work with, I decided to draw it onto paper and then stick it and cut it out on acetate, this would mean, when hung, it would be stable. However, the acetate would not stick to the paper and I had great difficulty cutting the acetate out to fit the font I had chosen. To resolve this matter, I shall use card next week instead of acetate as it would be easier to cut out. These shall be hung next week in the booked out room I have chosen.
This week has been quite successful, I have enjoyed creating the Mud Shelf and I am glad that I have come across the problem with the text this early in the project. Next week shall see me finish my experimenting with presenting my work and I should hopefully have an idea as to what I shall use in my installation.
No comments:
Post a Comment